*Click the Post Title to view the whole Chapter*

*Take Out all stuffs here with PROPER CREDIT*

My Sassy Girl Chapter 11

>> Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Sassy Girl by Kim Ho-sik [English CH.11]

CHAPTER 11


(Translator's Note: Gigantic props to anthony for reminding me that I did this once. I completely forgot its existence in the crazy chaotic hurricane of school work. Judging from how this is my first summer off (as opposed to “off”) for a while, translations will continue at a faster pace. I promise :-)

Also, I hope you notice that the grammar is inconsistent in terms of present and past tense. This is due to the fact that... in the original work, the author does go back and forth a lot. The original work is an internet semi-novel/blogpost, so don't expect any formal writing anytime soon.

And just to be on the same page, this translation is not word-for-word. The humor, attitude, meaning, and the very spirit of the work would be lost if I did that. The cultural difference can also be jarring and sometimes downright confusing. In this very chapter, the girl's friend calls Gyun Woo cute when they meet him the first time. Contrary to the context of the word, it is a simple compliment as opposed to anything flirty, and it doesn't mean "Oh wow! That guy behind you is really cute!"... it literally means cute, like a cuddly baby chick. I include pictures of foods, places, and celebrities that may be referenced to help the process as well.)

*Riiiing* *Riiiing*

“Hello?”

“Hey, Gyunwoo. It's me. Pretty yourself up and come to the Bupyeong Station.”

“... Pretty myself up?”

“Yeah... I'm meeting up with couple of my friends today.”

“W-wait. Why am I going too when you're meeting with your friends?”

“Because... I promised to introduce you to them. So hurry, okay?”

The whole thing took place at the ??? coffee shop near the station. (T/N: the author probably bleeped the name of the place to avoid any possible legal ramification)

I can see her and her friends... five of them total... huh, there's a guy in the group as well. As soon as I got to the table, she began to speak.

Her: Hey, you came! Sit down... So, guys. This is the guy I was telling you about. His name is Gyun Woo.

Her Friends: Nice to meet you! You're pretty cute.

Gyun Woo: H-hello... (Ugh, when they say that I'm cute, it means I'm not much to look at... I was in the market long enough to understand euphemisms like that...)

The group consiststed of me, her, a couple, and two other girls... We ordered soon after we were introduced.

The couple ordered a diamond ice together (T/N: a sort of shaved ice with sweetened red kidney beans, fruits, rice cakes, and sweetener. Pic reference - http://www.videoman.co.kr/uploads/goods/bingsu.jpg)
, the two girls ordered coffee... I just wanted a coke, but she ordered a diamond ice for the both of us.

The couple in front of us is being unbearably affectionate with each other. It's not like they can't eat with their own spoons... but, despite the not so kind looks others were giving them, they were feeding each other in turn.

“Aw, Sweetie~”

At the same time, her and I were engaged in an epic battle for the entire content of the bowl.

No hands, just with spoons, and no saliva on the spoon.

Our hands moved beyond the speed of visibility.

“Hey! You took two rice cakes at once! Put one back right now!”

How the hell did she see that?! I made sure to hide the rice cake inside the red beans...

After leaving the coffee shop, the two girls left the group saying they had other stuff to do. I wasn't too sure if they just wanted to get out of there, but... Anyway, it was just the vomit-inducing couple and us, and after discussing what to do next, we all decided to go watch a movie.

The theater was practically empty, so the four of us sat next to each other with two popcorns.

The lights went out and the movie started... I glanced at the other couple...

The guy had his hand on the girl's shoulder, the girl had her hand on his waist, and they were holding each other's free hand. It was a bit nauseating to see. To make it worse, the girl was feeding the guy popcorn periodically. One for him, one for her. One for him, one for her. Ugh...

At the same time, her and I....

had our hands stuffed in the popcorn bag fighting yet another epic battle.

Both of our mouths were full of popcorn, making unusually large noise.

Our hands happened to go into the bag at the same time. We both pulled, and the popcorn went into the air, making a rather nice firework.

We then looked next to us and behind us to see people covered in popcorns glaring at the other couple.

We looked at each other and grinned sadistically. Heh heh heh....

After making her promise not to drink too much, we went to get something to drink. (You know why, right? Her + alcohol = disaster)

The couple in front of us became more and more... aggressive. They were in each others arm, kissing in public... (T/N: PDA is a bit controversial in South Korea)

Her and I... yeah, right. We were playing rock, paper, scissors where the winner got to slap the loser.

“Rock! Paper! Scissors!”

Her: Scissor

Me: Paper

Her: If you please...

SMACK!

I bet that even if we're together for eternity, we'd never get that nauseating with each other... not that our relationship is anything like that in the first place.

She does laugh a lot more than she used too... I feel proud whenever she laughs so brightly. I could also feel that the day I have to leave her was coming closer and closer...

Translated By: BumFromKorea

0 comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP